A Yoshi Birthday Party Theme

“Yoshi, Mario, & Luigi and don’t forget the Power up and 1-Up mushrooms, we can put those on the green frosting part of the cake Mommy”, she said to me in such a descriptive way. I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to pull this off, but my daughter had her own idea of how she wanted her 6th Birthday Party to come together. She requested her party theme to be a jumble of Nintendo characters, but among all of them, her favorite was Yoshi. So off to work I went trying to figure out how I can make this birthday Party theme special, unique, and include Yoshi as one of the prominent characters.

Not all Mushrooms are yucky to kids… in fact these Mushroom Invitations are appealing to kids and adults alike. These are the 1-up mushroom invitations that I made for my daughters 6th birthday party.

When you flip open the invitation, the heading reads “Yazmina is 1- Up, Won’t you come celebrate with us”. Then I listed the Party Info (Date, Time, Place and R.S.V.P). Towards the bottom of the invitation I listed several items that the birthday girl likes, or enjoys. This is always a good idea, because this helps to give the invited guest a good basis of what type of gift they would like to give the birthday child. Plus it makes the guest feel like they came up with the idea, as opposed to being told what to buy.

The Green 1-Up Mushrooms were the invitations and the red Power up Mushrooms were the Thank you notes.

I ended up creating these really cute Yoshi Hats for the Party. The kids got their choice of either a Yoshi party hat, or a Reversible Mushroom hat.

The Birthday Party took place at our local Chuck-e-Cheese on a Saturday, which means that it was jammed PACKED with kids and parents. So the hats worked out great! Our party guests were easy to spot out in the crowded game room. The Hats were such a huge hit with the kids and the accompanying adults. I even spotted some of the adults sporting the Yoshi Hats themselves. LOL!

So for the cake, I had to get creative. I ended up ordering a Pixar Cars cake and transforming it into a Mario Kart cake (with Yoshi in the lead winning, of course). On the Left you can see the  Pixar Cars cake that I am referring to. On the right, you will see the outcome of my transformation idea.

I found these cute battery operated Mario Kart carswhich included Mario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi. The Luigi, Gumba and Bob-ombfigures were bought seperate. I thought they would look great on the race track design of the Pixar Cars cake. However I needed to find a way to protect them from the frosting, once I was to place them on the cake. So after I opened the package, I used the plastic from the clear box they came in to create a make shift lining that they could sit on. I used small amounts of hot glue to adhere the toys to the plastic lining. I made the mushrooms and the turtle shell pieces from FIMO (a clay that can be formed, and then baked to harden).

* Here’s a cost saving tip: If you have a whole sale club near by (Costco, Sam’s or BJ’s), you might try ordering the licensed cake from there as opposed to your local grocery store bakery. I found that I was able to get a ½ a sheet for $19.99 at my local wholesale club, the same licensed cake was at my grocery bakery for $29.99.

Yoshi Loot bags were at the specific request of my daughter. I Wasn’t sure exactly how I was going to make these. Actually it took me several rough drafts before I got the placement of the eyes and snout right, in order for them to look like Yoshi. These bags were created using green lunch bags, then I applied the eyes and snout. I strung matching ribbon through, to tie close the loot bags from the back. I will go into more detail of how these were made in upcoming posts. Once I finished creating them, I stuffed them with goodies and other custom created items.

One of the custom created items I stuffed inside were these Party blow outs. I picked up a few packages of these party blowouts from my local dollar store. I was able to utilize the existing balloon circle cut out that came on each of the blow outs. I simply flipped them over to the blank back side and cut out a mushroom shape. Then I used colored paper to create and glue the mushrooms on top.

Here is another custom created goodie that went inside the Yoshi Loot bags. These were little cookie bags that I created. They were really cute and simple to make. Not to mention I was able to make quite a few for little cost. All I had to purchase were the little plastic zip locking bags (2 ¼ x 3”), and the cookies. I printed out the labels from my home computer, folded them in half and stapled them to the cookie bags. On the front of the label I placed a picture of Yoshi drawing with a crayon. I chose a font that looked like crayon writing and with it I typed “It was a sweet treat to celebrate with you. Thanks for coming.” On the backside I wrote “Happy 6th Birthday! Yazmina is 1-Up”. I added in some black and white mushrooms so the recipient could color them in as a little extra fun added in.

Another one of the custom goodies that I created for the Loot Bags were these Mario & Luigi Lollipop favors.” Mario and Luigi lollipops, made from Charms Super Blow Pops . Basically I made mini “M” & “ L” party hats and little noses with moustaches. I used foam adhesive dots to make the nose pop out from the moustache. The hats were stuck on to the Blow pops using clear adhesive. Very cute! Again I will explain more in depth about creating these lollipops in upcoming posts.

I needed paper filler to stuff at the bottom of the Loot bags, but I even wanted the paper filler to have a little flare. So I decided to create my own. I typed up the words “Yazmina is 1-Up” and “Happy 6th Birthday” in small 6pt font size repeatedly across an 8.5 x 11 paper. I made sure to print the words on both side of the paper. Then I ran the papers through this mini Hand Crank Paper Shredder that I have. The outcome was awesome! I had created custom paper shred for all the Loot bags. Believe it or not, even the smallest of details (like this one) were noticed by party guests.

These are Mushroom Pouches that I have made before for a past Mario Party themed birthday. Given that this Yoshi party was taking place at Chuck-e-Cheese, where the kids have to pay a token to play the games. I couldn’t help but think how useful it would be to make these Mushroom Pouches again. What a great solution it turned out to be for the kids! They were able to free up their hands to play the games and not worry about keeping track of a cup full of tokens. I custom created the Mushroom Pouches to hang around like a necklace. I pre-stuffed each pouch with 30 tokens and allowed each guest to choose the Mushroom Pouch color of their choice along with their party hat choice upon arrival to the party.

The party was fun for everyone. My daughter especially was thrilled about her birthday party. I know I also really enjoyed coming up with all the custom details of this unique Yoshi party theme.

Most of all, the items I created I for this party I utilized from templates that I created myself. I will be posting many of these templates and step-by-step instruction in the coming weeks, so be sure to stop back soon.

*~*~Related Posts, that you may be interested in:~*~*

Looking for cute party items to coordinate with your Yoshi or Mario Kart Birthday party, check out these below.

Great for a Mario Kart Party
This entry was posted in Party Themes, Yoshi Party and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.
  • Rotating deals

25 Comments

1. Posted February 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Fab, fab, fab party!! So many great ideas, I loved reading about it all. My son is asking for a video game party, so we’ll have a mix of game characters, and I’m so going to have to try some of these. I’m so going to have to blog about you.

2. Carie - Cool Party Blogger
    Posted February 7, 2009 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Oh thanks! Glad to hear your going to try out some of these ideas. I would love to hear how your party turns out. Be sure to come back and drop a link. :o) Best of luck with your son’s party!

3. Alice Phillip
    Posted February 8, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I love your ideas of the Yoshi stuff. My son is turning Four in April and has been wanting Yoshi Mario Party. More Yoshi than Mario. How did you make the hats???? Please explain because we would like to do those as well as your yoshi loot bags. Thanks so much….. if you are willing to make them again I will pay ya for them? Please let me know. You do great work.

4. Carie - Cool Party Blogger
    Posted February 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    Actually, I will be posting many of the custom Yoshi templates that I created accompanied by How To’s, in the coming weeks. I will be starting with the Loot Bags, so be sure to check back soon. The Yoshi Hats were a BIG hit with the kids. One thing though, is they require a bit more assembly and explanation…so that “How To” will take me a bit more time. But definitely check back, I am always trying to post new creative party ideas :o)

• tora
      Posted May 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hi,
      I am trying to find your yoshi loot bag templates and I just don’t see them. Can you help me out? I love them they look sooo cute!! Please help my son would love these for his birthday party!

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
        Posted May 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

Once you sign up for a free membership through Cool Party Blog, you can then navigate to the “Templates”> “Purchase a template”. You will see a “buy now” button, after you click on the Buy now button, you can select your payment method through Paypal. From there, you purchase via Paypal, and the loot bag link will be visible to you (scroll down). Please be sure that you are logged in, before trying to purchase templates. Let me know if you still are unable to see them.
        Thanks.

5. Mary Norman
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Hi, I just wanted you to know that I love your website. You have some fantastic ideas !!!! I was wondering if you have a template for the invitations and the tank you’s. Thank you so much.
    Mary

6. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    I will be posting many exclusive templates that I have created accompanied by How To’s videos, in the coming weeks. Not sure as to an exact date of the invitations, but be sure to definitely check back soon. :o)

7. Mary Norman
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Hi, Sorry to bother you again…. I will be doing the invitations this weekend. Do you know how big yours were? I guess that might be all that I need. I will designate this weekend to be my crafty weekend. LOL
    Thank you so much.
    Mary

8. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 6:29 am | Permalink

I would recommend making your invitations a slightly smaller size then the size of the envelopes that you will be using. I like to get my envelopes first, then get the measurements of the envelope, then create the invitations based on the measurements. In the past, I have done it the other way around and I ended up having a slightly larger invitation that won’t fit inside any envelope. I had to mail many of them out, so I either had to pay more postage (for larger envelope) or make my own envelopes….. I ended making my own, my fingers hurt for days from all the cutting and folding. :o)
    For savings, look to dollar stores for invitation packs that come with brightly colored envelopes.
    But to answer your question, I made mine roughly 5″ wide ( mushroom cap) by 4.5″ tall (stalk part).

9. Noemi
    Posted June 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Hi!
    Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!!! I really liked the cookie bags you created. I was wondering if you would be willing to send me a copy of the card you created. I really like the clip art and the font you choose and have not been able to find it.
    Thanks again for sharing!

10. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted June 27, 2009 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Hi there!
    I will try to incorporate the Cookie bags into a step-by-step how to post in the near future. I need to locate the fonts and graphics used for them. Thanks for your comment.

11. Posted July 21, 2009 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Excellent Blog every one can get lots of information for any topics from this blog nice work keep it up.
    thanks

12. asdfsdf
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I just did a home ysohi party. SO cool.
    We played “what time is it Mr. Bowser?” (like Mr. Fox), we made homemade star pinatas – one for each kid small – filled with chocolate coins and other stuff.
    We made Yoshi eggs (google to find youtubs e video on this) and smashed them into pictures of bowser. Some had “go go” guys in them, stickers, little stars,etc.
    We played “Boo” tag. White balloons with permanent marker faces like the little ghosts in the game tied to string on each boys’ foot. They run around and try to pop each other’s balloon. Really fun. Get good balloons and try this first (some balloons do not hold up well).
    We made “YOSHI” bingo cards and played some bingo in the yard with circus peanuts as markers (great snack too).
    TOTAL FUN>>>>>

13. Carie ~ Cool Party Blogger
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Sounds Great!! I would love to see pics of your cool party. Please feel free to submit your pics on the right side of site, under Pages “Cool Party Pics”. Lots of fun ideas you incorporated into your party. Bet the guests didn’t want it to end. :o)
    Just so you and others know, there is no need to Google the video on Youtube. That is my video that I created and you can view it right here on Cool Party Blog. View under “Yoshi Party”. Scroll down till you get to the post showing you how to create Yoshi eggs.
    Thanks for the comment.

14. angelica
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

My almost 4 years old son has what we call “the Mario Bros Fever” Mario n Luigi is all he talks about. Thank you very much for sharing all your wonderful ideas with us. I love it n im sure my son will too. <3 <3 <3 <3

15. wendolyn2687
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Hello I was wondering if there is a way to get the templates to do the yoshi loop bags for my sons upcoming birthday party, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted March 7, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Hi! Yes, I am in the process of getting all the templates up. Bare with me as I work out the kinks of the new blog design. I think by this weekend there should be templates up and working. Thanks for your patience and registration.

• chavelax5
        Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

have u put up the template for the yoshi loot bags? how do i purchase it? i need help please…………….

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
          Posted April 11, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Hi there. Yes the favor bag templates are up and available. Just log into your member profile, then on the top navigation click on: “Templates” > “Purchase a Template”. From there you can scroll down to the favor bags. You will be able to purchase, and have access from there. Hope this helps. Have a fun time creating your favor bags! :o)

• Lorena
            Posted April 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Carie, I want to buy your template of Yoshi but for some reason I can not see it on sale. The only one that I can see is the Hello Kitty one. Can you help me with this!!

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
            Posted April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I am looking into this with Tech support, and why you are not given the option to see the template. Thank you for patience.

16. chavelax5
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

hi carie sorry to bug again but i dont see the yoshi loot bag template on sale either. i only see the hello kittiy one. i dont know if you can help me with it too. pls..
    thankyou

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted April 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

The Loot Bag file should be good to go now. I apologize for the technical difficulties :o(
      Thanks for your patience and understanding while I worked to get this resolved.