How to Make Custom: Mario & Luigi Birthday Party Hats

These are not your average party hats, the kids actually enjoy wearing them! I originally made these party hats for my sons Mario Party back in 2005, and they were a huge hit! Since then, I have made them for several “Nintendo themed” parties, and they always seem to be a cool party element that guests enjoy.

Now I am going to show you in a step-by-step, how you can make these unique party hats yourself !

~* Prep Time: approx. 20 minutes (tracing & cutting 10-12 Hats)

~* Creating Time: approx. 30 minutes (folding, adding elastic, and details)

Don’t have time to try it?…then Buy It (Sold in sets of 10)

Once purchased, you will have access to the template(s), images/video and instruction specific to this post for 15 days.

*~*~Related Posts, that you may be interested in:~*~*

Costume Search

Looking for items to coordinate with your party, check out these cool ones below. Not what your looking for? Search your party theme above.

This entry was posted in Mario & Sonic Party, Mario Kart Party, Mario Party, Party Favors, Purchase a template, Templates, Yoshi Party and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.
  • Rotating deals

28 Comments

1. Lorraine White
    Posted February 28, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

First of all I would like to say THANK YOU! I really appreciate the time you have put in to making the templates and how too videos. Can’t wait to get the invitation templates. So far I have made the coins, the hats ,the suckers and the loot bags. I don’t know if it is something that I am doing wrong, but I find that the templates print out a little too small. I noticed this especially with the loot bags, because the eyes don’t touch the sides of the bags. I went to the copy shop and had them increase the size by 15% and it seems about right. I really enjoy this site. Keep up the good work.

2. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your nice words of encouragement. It is always nice to hear that the site is appreciated.
    :o)
    Also, incase you want to re-download, I made adjustments to the Yoshi Bag eyes template. Thanks for your feedback with that, it helps me to fine tune the site.

3. Mary Norman
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 8:55 am | Permalink

I totally agree with the first person who posted…. you are awesome! Your website is a total lifesaver. I have everything ready to start, and I am going out now to buy posterboard. I did want to let you know. it may be a problem with youtube, but the hat video is not playing. I think I can figure it out though. And I am also waiting for the invitations too, but you gave ne grwat hints. LOL. Thank goodness I found your website. Also, you are great at explaining the details, and making it seem easy. (I sure hope it is)
    THANK YOU!!!!!
    Mary

4. Kathryn
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Your blog was a lifesaver. These party hats were my absolute favorite part of my nephew’s birthday. They were very easy to make and were a huge hit!
    Thank you so much!

5. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Oh, I am so Happy to hear that your nephews party was extra fabulous with these cool party hats. Would love to see a pic. Do you have a link to an image? If not, I am setting up a way to do so, so come back to soon. It will be available soon.

6. Posted June 21, 2009 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Oh I shall try these for my own birthday!
    maybe even put jumbas…

7. Lorraine White
    Posted August 2, 2009 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I was just wondering when you might post the waluigi and wario color templates for the hats. My son’s birthday is soon and I would really love to have these. I already have the hats cut out and I am just waiting to print these off. Thanks!
    Lorraine

8. Carie~Cool Party Blogger
    Posted August 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Let me see what I can do… Check back by mid-week. :o)

9. Dana
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Where do I find the small Narrow Elastic cords?

10. Carie ~ Cool Party Blogger
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I added in a link to help with your search in finding the elastic cord that is recommended in the Supplies List. Hopes this helps. :o)

11. Maritza
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Hello from Mexico
    I really cannot thank you enough for this ideas and the templates! Thank you! here we don’t have as many mario bros items as I wish, so your ideas are really worthy, thanks in the name of my son Isac, who will really love this party hats…
    Warm regards
    Maritza

12. Carie ~ Cool Party Blogger
    Posted November 24, 2009 at 6:39 am | Permalink

You are so very welcome. It is nice to hear when a mom out there finds my blog useful. I appreciate your wonderful comment. Best wishes for you son’s upcoming celebration. Won’t you please stop back and show some pics of your event. We would all love to see. Feel free to visit the “Cool Party Pics” page and submit your photos.
    :0)

13. Marianna
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

You are a lifesaver! A Mario party theme is not your “average” party where there are a lot of ideas out there! I’m printing the templates now for Mario hats, the party is not until FEBm but I want to see if I can make them before..I will post pics and more feedback in abot 5 weeks. Thanks

14. Posted February 9, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I am so excited to make the reversable Mario/Luigi hats! Can you tell me where you purchased the two different color sided poster board???
    Thanks so much for this awesome site!
    Jennifer
    cgesch@cox.net

15. Carie ~ Cool Party Blogger
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I am happy to. I was able to find my poster board at Office Depot. I added in a link at the top of the post just before the supply list. Hope this helps. Stop back with some pictures of your “Cool party” so we can all see.

16. Megan
    Posted March 26, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

My son thomas says that they are cute.

17. Posted April 8, 2010 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Thank you for sharing all your creativity and your files. I am having a Super Mario Brothers party for my 4 year old this Saturday. When he told me he wanted Mario as his theme I was worried that it would be a hard theme to pull off but now my son is super excited and I am too since I found your site.

18. cswift
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Ah-hah! Found the Mario Hats. I am totally going to make them this weekend!!!

19. Sarah
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

You are amazing my son’s 5th birthday would not be a success without this site!!

20. Carie ~ Cool Party Blogger
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Happy that my ideas helped! I would love to see pics of how these ideas helped add to your cool party. Please send pics over so I can post for all to see. :o)

21. stanswifey
    Posted June 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

How can I get access to the video?

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted June 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Hi there!

The video is available now for you. Sorry about that.
      Let me know if you have any problems seeing it. Enjoy your hats!

22. SandraG
    Posted June 30, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Hi, I can’t seem to find the videos or tutorial either. I would love to make these hats for an upcoming party!

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted July 4, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Hi there,

You can navigate to them buy simply clicking on the right side column where the “TRY IT” post images are located. Just pick the template you want to try.
      Enjoy!

23. annmissie
    Posted September 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure if I’m missing something or what, but I can’t seem to find the template or where to click to get to it. ):

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted October 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your comment, unfortunately I just saw it. I apologize for the delay.
      Once you sign up for a free membership through Cool Party Blog, (and are logged in) you can then navigate to the “Templates”> “Purchase a template”. You will see a “buy now” button, after you click on the Buy now button, you can select your payment method through Paypal.

From there, after you make the purchase via Paypal, the Hat link will be visible to you (scroll down).
      Please be sure that you are logged in, before trying to purchase templates.

Hope I answered your question, but if not, please feel free to email me, I am happy to help.

Have a nice day.

24. Cassie
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Hi there, can someone PLEASE tell me how to get the template for mario hats???
    I have looked and carnt find it.
    Cassie

• Carie - Cool Party Blogger
      Posted April 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

Please be sure that you are logged in, before trying to purchase templates.

Hope this helps.